5.20.2009

Cake

I did not bake this cake, the bakers at Wuollet Bakery did (and my MIL brought it over).  It is beautiful.  I had a bit of a mishap in my own kitchen, so much of a mishap that I chose not to even show it on my blog.  My cake for the husband looked like a pile of vomit.  Really!  True, the WB cake is full of gluten, which certainly helps when baking.  I used a mix (I already threw out/recycled the packaging so I'm not sure what brand) which SHOULD be full proof, even without gluten.  I blame my oven.  I left the cake in the oven for at least 20 extra minutes and when I cut into in today it was a little too fudgy...aka undercooked...not a GREAT feature in cake. It was chocolate, so it had that going for it.  I was going for German Chocolate so I made that frosting with the coconut, pecans (I only had almonds which worked well), evaporated milk, vanilla , and butter...a HALF POUND OF BUTTER.   Needless to say, it was tasty.  Tasty, but a little nasty when your house is 83 degrees, humid, and the frosting is starting to turn back into butter, a little droopy on the too-short raw-ish cake.  Mmmmm.  The vomit similarity came from the texture of the frosting and also the fact that I had much more frosting than cake, but I used all of it and just kept piling it on until it looked like a big puddle.   I blame the heat.  One can always blame the weather, right?

No comments: