2.06.2010

Creativity and Motivational Dorkiness


I've always liked to think of myself as a creative type, and I think I am, but as I sit down to work day after day on creative sorts of things I've been learning about my own personal creative process. I feel like it usually takes me about 20 minutes of fooling around with the mouse (well, laptop touch pad actually), pencil, paints, cooking ingredients, etc. to really start making things that even remotely look good. Maybe my brain power is switching from the left to the right. It's hard to believe that it takes that long, I'm actually probably always switching back and forth. Maybe that's why I'm so indecisive, it's like the whole devil and angel on the shoulder thing.

Here's a fun online quiz that I took that tells me I am 54% right brained. So, that's pretty much 1/2 and 1/2 with a little leaning towards the creative side.

But really, aren't these quizzes just a load of bull? I feel like the real trick to creative breakthrough is persistence, just like anything else. When most people start a project, it looks like total poo right away, right? At least in my studio, to me, the creative process is less divine genius (capital A Artist) and more vigorous problem solving (little a artist). The key is not to get frustrated and give up. It is FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT! (in toddler voice). Plus, artists go to school to learn color theory, etc. So it's learned right? Oh such topics, dare I mention them to philosopher husband? That would be a door opened for the night, no doubt.

That brings me to the second part of the title for this entry, motivational dorkiness. It helps. I just bought a lousy made-in-china mug with "Wish it, Dream it, Do it" on the front. How embarassingly cheesy. Yet, I like it and it gives me the power to keep fixing.
If I hang a big poster with an eagle on it in my studio, I've become desperate. The mug IS slightly cool.

I'm spending more of my creative time (which has shrunk to about and hour/day lately) on the new business endeavor, so not many books are making there way into the finished pile. However, this new endeavor is farming related, so I'm super pleased.

Switch back to left brain, time to go make supper...or is that right brained? No recipe=right?






No comments: