2.28.2010

Bug Party



We celebrated birthday numero dos this weekend with a bug theme. It was a toss up between bugs, tools, and trucks. What a boy our boy is. Our house is pretty small, so I went with a one-bowl chile lunch that was easy to eat perched on the couch or even standing since our table only holds 5 and we had closer to 20 here. I used this recipe, my favorite chile (love the use of dried chiles and not a boat-load of tomatoes).

So, the bug theme was a hit with the kiddos-we had three two-year-olds here including FGH.

My mom and I made some bug hats out of paper plates and pipe cleaners. They weren't worn for long, but they made cute decorations on the table!
My mom also made these cookies! FGH took a bite out of at least five. She got creative and used multiple cutters for each cookie (the dragon fly is a bat (reformed) and two hearts). Very darling!


Great Grandma June made the bug cake. It's two layers of white cake with green buttercream and m&m bugs. The legs are melted chocolate.
Serious task going on here:

Cousins examining some of the presents. I like the walrus looking on.
We had a bug hunt in the kitchen (the most unpopulated room). We found a pile of fake bugs and some plastic bug collecting gear at the dollar store. It was a blast. The toddlers did really well!



And the suit. Target had this gem for the low low price of $24.99, and that included the clip-on tie! Who is this kid? Pee Wee Herman?


1 comment:

MJ's Mama said...

Ahem, I helped make those bug cookies but where's my shout out?! He hee. Man, Madi looked like a mop-head with that long hair. Good thing Mom trimmed her up on Sunday. We ahd a really fun time and it was a super fun and relaxing party. Seriously, it wasn't that crazy.