6.10.2010

Repurposed Leather


I have always wished that I could make leather journals, then I thought, why not just try, and so I went to Unique Thrift Store and found some gigantic leather skirts and discarded leather jackets. It was an odd feeling to pile my huge stash of leather goods on the cashier's counter, so much that my bag was as big as a huge plastic yard bag. It turns out that I don't have a great eye for leather, when I started cutting things up I realized that I had some faux in the mix. Wow, some of that stuff looks so real. Then, I started measuring and sewing and attaching...cutting again...sewing again....

Here are some of the results. Some are in my shop, some are already in transit to etsy customers, and some are still waiting to be listed.

First off, a faux leather journal! It is made from an old portfolio, those oldies that have metal on the top and stay popped open like a diamond. You know?






I love figuring out how to make new things. I'm so very good at starting new projects and thinking I have time to do it all. Despite the lack of time to get things done, husband forced me to go to a concert at The Cedar last night. It was First Aid Kit, a band consisting of swedish sisters (and a drummer). I mentioned them on this blog months and months ago when I discovered this youtube video. It was good stuff.

4 comments:

Buried To My Roots said...

wow, nice work. good market for the faux leather too! you never cease to amaze!
and you even have time to go to concerts.
living the good life!

PrairiePeasant said...

Nice work! That's very inspiring. I have yet to give leather a try, but I keep feeling this nudge to challenge myself.

AnnaShawnLachenAkselReilly said...

Aksel's three favorite birthday gifts: basketball hoop, hockey goalie helmet, and one of these leather-bound books! He adores this book, and he likes to stroke the cover when he's deciding what to draw. An AWESOME, AWESOME gift for anyone who is tactically inclined.

leather skirts said...

Extraordinary writing skills are can be measured in the blog. I hope you will surely write some contents for us the readers.
Your work is very inspiring.