3.08.2010

More Wedding Books



I just finished sewing together a couple new wedding books, the first is a commission for a "brown and burnished olive dragonfly" themed wedding. These wedding book commissions are so interesting, I love the endless combinations of color. The second book is going into my shop, not a commission, but I think suitable for many-a-wedding. White with a touch of soft blue, it could simply be the "something blue" for the big day.
I found a new printer to deal with, good riddance to fed ex kinkos. My new printer of choice is just 4 blocks away right here on our street. It's the opposite of kinkos. Old, small, dark, with friendly people and a big black shaggy dog. The price was comparable and they folded and trimmed my text blocks for me AND fully understood what I wanted them to print for me in about 10 minutes (compared to the kinkos fiasco: 65 minutes of me explaining over and over again what a signature is) so, again, local small business = good.

Other than books, mothering, a new job, and a slight thaw in the tundra outside, I've been baking a bit. I tried this walnut cake recipe, converting it to be gluten free. I used teff flour (an Ethiopian grain) plus a 1/4 teaspoon of guar gum instead of the 1/2 cup of flour the recipe calls for. The results were quite good, and FGH even ate it up. I was a little lazy about the jam. We did try it once with some peach jam and vanilla ice cream, but nothing as beautiful as the original post I found the recipe on. I think I'll make it again since really, it's a great kid food, especially for kids like mine who eat the bare minimum before heading off to play again. 1 1/2 cups of walnuts, 4 eggs, and 1 mass amounts of butter are good things for a developing boy (and for us big people in moderation) plus, the teff flour is crazy high in protein.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your wedding books! They are very beautiful!!

Katy said...

Thanks!