12.08.2008

Caramelized Onions and Apples

 I felt like experimenting a bit in the kitchen for dinner so I looked through the cupboards to see what I could find to work with.  We still have about 70 pounds of onions left from the farm, so I wanted to use some of them, and we also have quite a few apples from the co-op that are starting to soften.  I caramelized the three onions for about 35 minutes in olive oil and butter, then added the apples (sliced, cored, and peeled) for about 1 minute more, added some white wine (about 1 cup), and let things simmer for about 5 minutes. The apples were soft, but not mushy, and the onions were sweet as can be. I served them alongside a potato sausage and side of quinoa. I helped make the potato sausage last Saturday at my Grandma's house, but that's for another entry. I was planning on taking a picture of the finished plated meal, but things got crazy with Fredrik needing to get to bed and Peter and I scarfed down our food before I could take a picture. The last picture is what remained in the pot.


1 comment:

AnnaShawnLachenAkselReilly said...

I didn't know that you'd started another blog. However do you find time? I can't wait to see you all again. I have wonderful visions of you and Fredrik strolling down to ACE and back. Do you have a Burley stroller yet? I think it's getting to be time...