11.23.2009

Dala Horses

My vegetable-people drawings are morphing into something new for Christmas...dala horses! For those that do not have Scandinavian ancestry (I mainly claim the Swede, though Norwegian and Danish blood runs through me system as well), dala horses are traditional hand carved and painted Swedish folk art. They are not particular to Christmas time, but for some reason I associate them with the holidays. Perhaps it's the fact that one's cultural heritage is really put into full swing this time of year (lefse, herring, glogg, rosettes, St. Lucia, rice pudding...).

I've really really been enjoying my new photoshop trick of designing original patterns. These drawings are full of vintage-looking patterns in all of my favorite colors. Basically, I drew one horse with some fun framing, then colored it in four different ways. My mom and I are currently searching for the perfect way to frame them all together. I have also created 5x7 greeting card packs and little gift tags which will appear soon in my shop. The prints-- in a 6"x6" format-- are in my shop right now.




2 comments:

Buried To My Roots said...

wow wow wow. no more to say than that. such talent you have my friend.
have anything with cows in it up your sleeve?

Katy said...

thanks sarah!
cows! sure, why not! I'm also very enamored with foxes lately so I'm thinking about a fox, too.