3.10.2009

Sucky Economy

I'm so depressed.  I've had enough.  I've been trying to pretend that this economy isn't all that bad, it's just a bunch of media hype, but really, it sucks. I know too many people that have been laid off or have suffered pay cuts. This morning, someone knocked on our door to tell us our house is in foreclosure. True, we are renters so it's not really a call for alarm since we'll just find somewhere else to go, but I feel bad that it's happening. Our landlord is a nice guy and times are obviously tough for him. It's kinda fun to look for a new place so I stumbled right over to the internet. At first I was excited to see so many places on craigslist to be rented, but then I realized that behind many of those houses were foreclosures or some other desperate situation. Blarf! Other bad signs of these glum times:
1. We are selling our veggie-hauling van for $1000. That's so cheap.
2. I went shopping at goodwill for a coffee maker...they wanted $10. What!?! It probably didn't even work.
3. I hesitated spending $.49 for something.
4. I'm having a hard time finding any sort of job.
5. I'm getting 40% off coupons from various retail giants.
6. What else are you noticing?
I just have this bad feeling that things will be dull for awhile (how long?). I guess they will get better eventually. It's just a bit awkward when I sit in my studio thinking of what direction this whole book-binding thingy is going to go right now.
SOOOO...chocolate is the answer.
After FGH was tucked into bed I needed chocolate. We were out. I made some hot cocoa on the stove and as I was sprinkling the cocoa into the pan I decided to just dump the remainder of the jar into the hot milk. Giggity. Chocolate really helps.

Oh, and I'm working on some every-so-dainty little accordian-style books. The obsession continues. Photos tomorrow perhaps.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel your frustration! My hubby lost his 'extra' job when the cafe was cutting hours to save money (owned by a friend of mine). Then his #1 job was lost when the print shop where he worked (which had been around for at least 2 decades) closed its doors forever. I feel lucky that my job is secure, even if i do hate every second of it! Working in a coffee shop, you see alot of the same faces, so when you don't see someone for a few days, you begin to wonder...and in this economy, it seems my susupicions (lay-off) are usually right.
I just keep telling myself things will get better, but it is hard to keep the negativity at bay. Chocolate definately helps (I had a cup of hot chocolate soymilk, myself, last night)!
Keep on truckin'!

MLB said...

I have started to notice less people out at restaurants, stores, etc.

My friends and family seem to be on a constant train of lost jobs.

I "tweeted" this for work the other day, but seems like a good one to share with you: Renters also victims @cnn: http://bit.ly/16qtkg see a story of a grandmother in CA who experienced just that: http://bit.ly/UlVIr

But, on the other hand I have seen more people in the park on the weekend doing free-fun.

Another positive is trying new recession recipes. My new faves: slow-cooker tacos, stir fry, and spicy arrabiata with a chopped up pork in it. Lasts for days. And you can even use leftover sauce for pizzas!

My two-cents!

Buried To My Roots said...

I feel like starting a shared living commune. Growing our own food, squishing into one house, sharing money, kid duties,etc.
Wanna move in with us? Peter can remodel our barn!
It's all so sad. I wonder when it will end, what will the bottom look like?
And in the midst of all of this, I am thinking about reducing my work hours so I can be home more with my boys. Probably not the prudent thing to do.
I look forward to seeing your latest book works though!
See ya on saturday for seed planting!

AnnaShawnLachenAkselReilly said...

Ugh! Your house is in foreclosure! Chocolate is good. Hulu is free. Our wealth is our ability to work and our intelligence. We'll get through this. Eternal optimism is your friend.

I have been intrigued by the Great Depression and those who weathered that storm all of my life. We'll weather this, too. Did you know that the chocolate chip cookie was invented during the Depression? Something that people couldn't resist, even if it cost money, and provided nothing but a momentary mouthful of pleasure. See? It all comes back to chocolate.

Katy said...

I want to make chocolate chip cookies now...maybe that's another thing I could sell at the Farmers' market.

Thanks for all the comments!