6.26.2009

Squeezing in a Little Book Binding


Despite my super hectic schedule I have found some time to do some book binding. Thanks to a pile of commission work I've been lead into my studio to do what I like best...folding, pasting, cutting, and, lately, creating decorative papers. This afternoon I've been given the gift of time and I don't know how to handle it. P and FGH headed up north to the cabin for a fishing excursion of sorts and, since I have an all-day class learning Adobe InDesign both Saturday and Sunday I felt it appropriate to stay home. They took off after lunch and I've since accomplished a nap, supper, a lot of cleaning, some brainstorming for my upcoming website and ad assignments, a book conceptualized and mostly finished, and an episode of Six Feet Under watched. It's only 8:o0 so who knows what else will happen tonight.
Here are some commissions I've been working on lately:

This is my workspace tonight. I've claimed the kitchen island because it's tall, big, in bright light, and my internet connection is stronger in here. I'm making a long-stitch album suitable for 4x6 photos. The papers I'm cutting up in the picture are from a design assignment. I decided not to go with it for this project, but for awhile I was excited about them. Notice the glasses, I haven't worn them since college. It's all this staring at the computer screen.
This Jambo "hello" African-y book is just about finished. I painted the black and white paper using frisket and black watercolors. The jambo lettering is done with rub-ons. It's coptic bound, there are a variety of papers inside for text, and I included an elastic band since it is probably going to be used as a travel journal. I used a matte finish on the cover paper to make it more durable.


Here's another African-themed book. This was commissioned as a scrapbook to be filled with photos from a recent trip to Africa. It's coptic bound, there are beads on the cover. I collaged the inside covers. I got most of this paper at Archivers.




No comments: