1.14.2009

Amy Butler Inspired Sketchbooks

I do so admire the fabrics of Amy Butler, and now Archivers carries scrapbook paper based on the beloved fabrics.  They are vintagey, yet modern, I think she calls the designs, "Midwest Modern."  For the four books now in my etsy shop, I used slightly heavy white sketch paper for the pages.  There's nothing wrong with lightweight paper, but for some reason I was drawn to the strong thick sketch paper and have purchased quite a lot of it for book usage.  It feels so nice and substantial.  I could go on and on about paper choices, but I won't.  Unless anyone has their two cents to offer about the weight of paper he or she prefers when doodling or writing.  I'm really just guessing here.  
Anyway. 
I started these books with the intention of having a subdued cover and a surprise on the inside of the covers, the surprise being the fun AB papers.  I was a bit bored with the level of subdue so I jazzed the cover with a strip of the same paper.  So many decisions.  They turned out pretty nice, anyhow.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

That Amy Butler has it going on! I went to Cambridge to get my hair cut today (a HUGE extravagance, but it's therapeutic). I parked on one side of Harvard Yard and walked through it to my beloved Aveda salon. On my way, amidst the brilliance of the Harvard students, the cobblestone, and academic hub-bub, a dress in a store window caught my eye. There was a sundress in Amy's fabric at a Tommy Bahama store. She's everywhere!

Do you want to go to Harvard when you come to see us this spring (hint,hint)?

Anonymous said...

just when i think you've made the best yet, you make them even better. keep workin'. m