1.12.2009

Memory Lane

I've made about 30 books since I've gotten my studio up and running. I've recorded them in a handbound book I made in college and now I'm up to the 104th book entry in this ledger. There's about 5 years span where I added zero books. Since it has been awhile since I've had any instruction, I spent tonight digging through boxes in search of my "old" books. I THINK I remember how to do each step, but I found myself second guessing myself about a few minor details so it helped to examine these old books. I had given away or sold most everything I made, so I was stuck looking at a few of my own journals, which, of course, each had a flaw of some sort (that is why I kept them). It was wonderful to feel these old friends again, and especially fun to look through my travel journal from my and Peter's leisure trip around France a month before we got hitched. My style has changed a lot, and I'm not so sure I like the change. I guess that's part of being an artist- or creative person- whatever I call myself I'm not sure anymore. I've just been so BUSY the past five years that I haven't really taken the time to think about it. My books are suddenly geometric, bright, clean, and sleek, where as they used to be more organic and subdued with rough-edged deckled pages, hand-marbled papers, and found-object closures. The fact that they were worn from being lugged in a backpack and tossed on the floor so many times definately added some charm, too.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you had a hefty dose of "organic...rough-edged..." experiences in your life over the past five years, so now you are compensating by creating sleekness? I'm often a "grass-is-greener" kind of person, and then reach out for the contrasts. Know what I mean?

MJ's Mama said...

The merchant in me says "Do what sells" but that's really not your style. You should see how my scrapbooking evolved over the years! From really crappy to more sophisticated. It's funny how your style changes over the years.