2.14.2009

Happy Valentines Day!

How bad is this? Not bad at all? Completely strange? For Valentines Day Peter and I invested in stocking a mixed drink bar. Or, rather, we stocked a shelf in the kitchen with liquor bottles, we don't have anything nearly as glamorous as a bar, but maybe I can think of something creative that would make our new nightly tradition of a cocktail a little more special. There have been some good ideas in Ready Made magazine: 
Perhaps just a simple vintage or pottery tray on top of our piano (very childproof) would do. I could even include some glassware...I like it...Anyway. I bought a fancy bottle of tequila (my favorite) some gin, triple sec, grenadine, a six-pack of tonic water and Roses Lime. We already had some Kahlua and Jameson. I realize this is not anywhere near a complete bar, but it at least allows a selection. We've been in the habit of buying one spirit at a time and having the same drink over and over again but now we can make White Mexicans (I sub tequila for vodka to make this a Mexican instead of a Russian since I always get allergies from vodka), Margaritas (tequila, triple sec and lime), gin and tonics, tequila sunrises (if we have OJ in the house), or you know, just Jameson on ice, which is too tasty to mix. The next thing I need is a bartenders guide to help me think of more drinks. Maybe I can even find a gluten-free guide, since it seems like hidden gluten hides in things like beverage mixes, they don't have any ingredients listed so I find myself searching online for what's allowed and what isn't.  We don't have a lot planned for this day-of-romance, but a relaxing cocktail tonight with a bowl of popcorn and a rented movie sounds pretty darn great.  

No comments: