2.27.2009

Foodie Mama

I started this blog as a bookmaking/mothering/cooking blog and I have noticed the amount of cooking entries to be few. Why is this? I cook constantly, subscribe to culinary magazines, listen to cooking podcasts, and read foodie blogs yet all my food is taking the shape of last-minute throw together meals that deserve no showing-off. My cooking is so booooring and my foodie source guides aren't helping.  An article about domestic vs. imported caviar? Worthless. Recipes for food that is not soft, mushy, and full or calories? Not for my boy. Days of putzing in the kitchen all day? Gone.

That brings me to what I have been cooking: casseroles...I mean hotdishes...this is Minnesota. They're perfect. Soft and mushy, voluminous both in serving size and calorie content (for the baby), easy to make ahead of time and there are always leftovers for lunch the next day (and sometimes supper the next day as well). I'm starting to get better at one-dish meals, but I've had some disasters along the way. The family favorite so far has been any casserole involving pasta (rice pasta). I've made tetrazzini with chicken twice and tofu once...it was great and I fit so many veggies in with the creamy parmesany sauce (peas, lots and lots of cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, garlic...). The secret to casserole-ing seems to be plenty of liquid, lots of cheese, and extra cheese on top. How gourmet. Also, my fat is getting fatter with all that cheese.
I've found a good compromise with my new subscription to everyday food (as seen on PBS Saturday mornings(the food network for people that have rabbit ears on their TV still)). The first issue came in the mail yesterday and was full of ideas that are time and family friendly yet full of fresh ingredients and grown-up tastes as well. It was the pasta issue, so even better. I'll hopefully remember to post about the upcoming custardy mac and cheese, cornmeal crusted fish sticks, "emeril's turkey bolognese", and some other pasta dishes.

Local man Adam Turman's awesome hotdish poster:

2 comments:

MJ's Mama said...

Whoa, that looks delish and so comforting!

AnnaShawnLachenAkselReilly said...

Well, I simply must get that poster. I mean, my kitchen is red and white. The 11x14 poster was clearly made to adorn my Midwestern kitchen here in the middle of Massachusetts.

You know, they don't even serve tater tot hotdish in school lunches here. WHA-A-A-T???