1.21.2010

Garden


This time of year was always so exciting on the farm, lists to make, seeds arriving in the mail, prepping the seed starting area for the onions that would soon be planted into trays...

This year FGH and I are going to have a garden in the backyard. I've been not so excited about it, since it's really quite a bit smaller than 40 acres, but now that I'm about to put the seed order in the mail I'm getting excited. We're renting here, so I don't want to add any more tilled area besides the 8'x8' garden spot that already exists. So, I'm planning on some major container gardening. I've never done this and I'm a little nervous. I will continue to have a CSA box every week from our old farm (now loon organics) as a back up.

My list so far:

For containers:
Tomatoes (of course)
Bell Peppers
Peas (trellised in a pot)
Herbs (Basil, Parsley, Oregano for sure)
Salad Mix

Precious Garden Plot Area:
Green Beans
Herbs (Basil, Parsley, Oregano for sure)
Kale (a lot of bang for your buck space-wise)
Heads of Lettuce
Zucchini (trellised)
Cuke (trellised)
Spinach
Radish

Things I'm NOT growing:
brassicas (broccoli, cabbage, caul, bok choy...)
potatoes
winter squash
corn-I have always thought it so funny when home gardeners plant 6 stalks of corn!
everything else

I really like fresh eggplant, but it takes up some footage....might try it in a pot...we'll see.

If anyone has some container growing advice send it this way. I'll do some googling about it. I'm going to need a lot of pots, too. Hmmmm. I'm guessing water will be the biggest factor. I will have a toddler helping me, and he will probably REALLY like the hose next summer so TOO much water is probably the actual problem with those pots.

Here's a gardening journal that will find it's way into my shop soon. It's a journal made from a variety of papers from the "Veggie Line." I may have to keep it for my own gardening notes come to think of it.








2 comments:

Unknown said...

Katie,
It sounds like you have good garden plans for your pots and small garden. I tried one of those rectangular boxes that are covered in black plastic, for a tomato plant for Emma and Mark and it worked really well. It includes the soil and fertilizer, layered. You put the water in a tube until it leaks out a hole so it does not become to dry or too overwatered.

Good luck - you certainly have the gardening skills to make it all successful.

I love your books!

Linnea

Katy said...

Thanks for the tips, Linnea!
I'm excited to grow some food this summer. I'm going to volunteer at our old farm, too, but I just love having food right outside the kitchen.