1.12.2010

Me+Me

A few weeks (months?) ago I split myself into two, swirling tree and swirling tree people.

The books vs. the drawings and prints.

My book shop was feeling cluttered with the prints and notecards so I thought they should be seperated.

Well, now I've brought them together into one big "me" collaboration.

I was crabbily working (tis frustrating to learn new things) on patterns to go with my new designs for about a week and a half and now I have produced these:

A whole "elephant ballerina" line of papers and even some printed fabric for the brag book pouch. Phew. I wasn't sure if I was going to pull it off. As you can see, the green elephant paper is made of repeated smaller green copies of my original elephant which is on the large album. The flower pattern comes from the corner detail on the drawn frame around the elephant. I'm selling all three books together as a set. So darling, if I do say.

The inspiration for these projects came from some christmas gifts from Peter. "Bend the Rules with Fabric" by the Angry Chicken blogger Amy Karol, and a silkscreening kit from the Center for Book Arts, and from my parents (with sis's help), the letterpress printer from Archivers. Aside from the book, none of these were exactly used for this project, but getting all of these printing related products spurred me to think about patterns and making my own decorative papers and fabrics. The letterpress and silkscreen are taunting me to learn more.

I have some veggie-people albums and brag books on the way, and then dala horses. I'm not sure if the movie fox will be appropriate as these seem geared towards baby gifts. Anyone have any input? Would someone want a set of albums and a brag book with a sly and cynical movie-loving fox on the cover?

Hmmmmm.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the combo deal--- i'm thinking the movie fox is not going to work for baby stuff. maybe Freddy Fox from the forest? how about Madi Monkey, Richie Rabbit, June Bug, Andy the Anteater,Timmy the Turtle, Peter Porcupine, Katy Kangaroo?

Katy said...

OH MY! I better get drawing! I like all of the ideas, especially the anteater. You don't see enough cartoon anteaters.